Every year, right around this time, I start to compile a list of things for which I am grateful, and this year is no exception.
- I am very grateful to the City of Montreal for giving us a one-year respite on rebuilding the street where L’Affichiste is situated. Last year, from Grand Prix weekend in mid-June until Christmas Day, we had a crew of men, tons of debris, no sidewalk and lots of Montreal’s world-famous orange cones.
This year, as a tribute the Montreal’s 375th anniversary, there was – Hallelujah – none of that.
Which brings me to…
- I am thankful that this year was the best year I have had in business. First-time tourists to the city, return customers, regular fans, Instagram followers – you’ve all made this year one to remember and I thank each and every one of you for that!
- I am exceptionally grateful to my new friend Jeremy Aynsley for helping me in every conceivable way with my recently published book Beyond Poster Art in Vienna: The Life and Art of Julius Klinger. Jeremy graciously wrote the forward to the book, invited me to take his two-week Masters Seminar at the New School in New York and was kind enough to involve me in his Klinger exhibition at the Wolfsonian. Thank you Jeremy!
- L’Affichiste is open 7 days a week, almost 365 days a year. That is only possible because I have the great good fortune to work with a talented group of young people, let by the incredibly efficient and lovely Lilian. Lil has worked with me for three years and has, in that time, learned a great deal about posters, poster galleries and just what it takes to help keep a poster gallery owner happy. She is dependable, good-natured, and proactive and I am grateful to have her on the team.
Dana, our latest addition, is my favorite partner in dumpling addiction and is has become very posterific in a very short period of time.
Desiree, Danijela, Ariella, Nathaniel and Alison were also part of the team this year and I am thankful for their contributions to helping make L’Affichiste an Old Port shopping destination.
- We’ve continued to enjoy great press coverage – in France, Austria, and the United States. The book generated good reviews, the exhibition is world-class, and our Instagram followers keep telling us we are the reason they’ve chosen to visit Montreal. We are truly blessed, and we know it.
- My son Giulian makes me proud every day. I am grateful for his love, his wisdom and for the fact that he is able to make me laugh at myself. Often.So, as this year comes to a close and next year (when the City will once again begin rebuilding St. Francois Xavier Street) is just beyond the next snowbank, I thank you all for continuing to support L’Affichiste and for permitting to work at a job I love every day.Happy holidays!