I think it is safe to say that style is so individual that each and every one of us, even those of us who claim not to be influenced by fashion, are influenced by such a variety of images, videos and style icons that narrowing it down to just ten might be impossible. Never one of shy away from impossible tasks, we’ve decided to list some of the people, images and sites which we think are totally of-the-moment (either for good reasons, or bad). We’re open to suggestions: let us know what we left out!
1. We love this rundown of the ten most important fashion videos (when I grow up I want to look like the model in the Vanessa Bruno video).
2. All very beautiful, but what about this retro pseudo fashion video?
3. In times of aspirational, exceptional, high-budget, fashion-related extravaganzas – this is unquestionably my all time favorite: L’Odyssée de Cartier.
4. There are only a handful of fashion designers who can be said to have changed not only the way we dress, but also the way we look at fashion. From the moment Giorgio Armani came on the scene, his clothes – whether at the high end couture end of the spectrum, or the more affordable Armani Jeans line, literally altered perceptions of what was (and wasn’t appropriate). Americans first saw his clothes on Richard Gere, in a dated, but beautiful movie called American Gigolo, but Italians have always known that in an Armani, you will be noticed (and for all the right reasons).
5. Fashion people I cant claim to understand: Jessica Simpson (fashion? Really? Yes, really: she reported makes 1 BILLION DOLLARS worth of sales a year from her fashion line. I couldn’t make this up, and frankly, the mind boggles); Mary Kate and whatever-her-sisters-name-is Olson (waif chic, not so much); Vivienne Westwood
(OK, I get that she was the precursor for Lady Gaga, but still); Donatella Versace (to me, she’s scary looking and has none of the raffinatezza of her brother); and Thierry Mugler (nothing against him, I just don’t like his clothes. Maybe I just don’t get the aesthetic).
6. Love anything Hermes. Period.
7. Pretty into Martin Margiela – not all the clothes mind you, but some of them take draping to new heights. And his design aesthetic I appreciate…
8. Designs which looks stoopit on everybody: Harem pants (I typed in diaper pants to get an image from Google and ended up on a page about erectile dysfunction. ‘Nuff said …)
9. Style/Fashion Icons we admire: Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Karl Lagerfeld (ok ok, he’s a little hard to look at, but jeez, creativity + longevity), Kate Moss, Jacqueline Kennedy, and Sophie Vergera. Love love love Sophia Vergera – she’s funny, she’s got a body to kill for and she’s not afraid to make fun of herself. Killer! (watch the best moments of Gloria on Modern Family)
10. Richard Avedon. Anything Richard Avedon.